Monday, September 28, 2009

What Kind of a Library Is This?

Michael Ian Black's hilarious book "My Custom Van" was recently released in paperback format. I did a search at the library because even though I love the book I wasn't willing to part with $15.96 to buy it from Chapters.

The library does not currently carry the book but I did come across some rather disturbing titles.

For example, "My Daday is a Giant Korean". Perhaps your father is taller than average size and of Korean descent but I still don't think it's right to call him a giant Korean.

I then thought, if that's the kind of books they publish about daddies, what kind of insulting trash are they printing about mommies. This poor, poor kid. His mom travels a lot, she makes money and now she's having a baby. Is it just me or does mommy sound like a hooker?

Children often make claims that their relatives are stronger, smarter, make more money or are just generally better than another child's but I think these two books take it a little too far.

"Umm, my grandpa died today."

"Oh yeah, well my grandpa is amazing."

"Touche"




Most disturbing of all though is My Grandmother's Erotic Folktales.

"Yes grandma we've heard about little red riding hood. Yes, she rode that wolf long and hard. Mm hmm, yes and how Goldilocks found the baby bear just right. C'mon grandma, there's no such folk tale as "Johnny Happypants and his Electric Penis"".

While there may be no Johnny Happypants there are some questionable folk tale titles. I give you a sampling below.

  • An Unusual Ride
  • Fair, Brown, and Trembling
  • Mister Rabbit Nibbles Up the Butter
  • Nine Children at One Time
  • The Clergyman and the Dwarfs
  • The Hand of Glory
  • The Stonemason Who Was Never Satisfied
  • The Story of Hok Lee and the Dwarfs
  • The Tale of the Butter Tub
  • The Tiger King's Skin Cloak
  • The Emperor's Daughter in the Pig Stall
  • A Young Monk Wanted to Have a Goose
  • Of the Woman Who Loved a Serpent Who Lived in a Lake
  • The Cobbler and His Three Daughters
  • The Miller, His Son, and the Ass

No comments: