Friday, February 22, 2008

Switzerland - Beautiful but Boring

If you're going to Switzerland and don't ski bring a book and/or try to catch up on your sleep. I spent 5 days in Zurich and spent most of the time saying "how much?!?!?!? are you out of your freakin' cheese lovin' mind?"

This is the most exciting thing to see in Zurich - a gigantic cuckoo clock. Whenever I asked what type of tourist attractions were around the reply was inevitably "have you seen the clock yet?"


After I got tired of the clock I spent 2 days staring at this thing.


Finally, I decided to take a day trip and went to Lucerne. The picture below shows the actual Keebler elf factory. Head office is still located in a tree but the cookie production is done in the tower.


The "official" explanation of this "carving" is that it commemorates the hundreds of Swiss Guards who were massacred in 1792 during the French Revolution. In actuality it is a lion that was accidentally covered in concrete and the Swiss made up the story to avoid embarrassment.


I also decided to do some mountain climbing.


Thank god for this warning sign - "Please don't fall off the mountain".





In retrospect I should have just used the cable cars.


Bern - The city where Einstein came up with the theory of relativity. It's also where I came up with the idea for a shampoo that cuts your hair while cleaning it but I doubt anybody will be talking about that 100 years from now.


Einstein's apartment in Bern. You'd think the plants would have died.


There is an odd law in Zurich that you must have a hat in order to descend stairs. You're allowed to ascend hatless but descending is punishable by a fine or a day's imprisonment. Of course the hat salesman congregate at the top of stairways and make a killing.


James Joyce's grave. The grave stone is just in front of this statue but I thought the statue would be more interesting to look at. In my opinion he is the greatest novelist in the English language and whether you agree (or even care) or not I climbed about 3 vertical miles of stairs to get here and had to buy 3 hats on the way down because they kept blowing off so I'm posting the damn picture.

No comments: