Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Pie Shack

RELAY UPDATE - As of the morning of June 9th, we are $400 away from our goal of $5000.

Last Saturday I went to the Beaches and had the good fortune of stumbling across a little place called the Pie Shack. When I say stumbled, I mean literally because I had been drinking quite heavily that day and have a poor sense of balance due to losing the big toe on my left foot in a 3-legged race gone awry.

The Pie Shack serves both sweet and savoury pies. They were all out of sweet pies when Monkey and I arrived but they were expected any minute. We found this out from the owner, Tim McConvey, who is most likely the friendliest man alive while also being just unpredictable enough to be slightly frightening.

Tim talked to every customer for about 15 to 20 minutes. This made them really feel like they were appreciated and valued; of course it also meant that if you were third in line you'd be waiting 30 - 40 minutes to order, which had the opposite effect.

We decided to have a savoury pie and a pot of tea while we waited in the hope that the sweet pies would arrive. I had a quiche lorraine and Monkey had a chicken pot pie. We both agreed that the pies were delicious. The Pie Shack has decks of cards on the tables so as we waited for the sweet pies we played an intense game of Crazy 8s and sipped tea.

Finally the sweet pies arrived. I had a slice of peach while Monkey had strawberry-rhubarb. Again, both delicious, perhaps due to the copious amounts of butter used.

I can't think of a more pleasant way to spend a Saturday afternoon, other than chucking eggs at old people from a moving car.

No comments: