Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Winnipegagain

The day started like most of my days this vacation. Up early to eat a hearty breakfast and then set sail for what adventure awaits. I drove down to Altona to see the World's Largest Painting on an Easel. What I saw instead was what I assume to be the world's largest easel. That's right, the painting was gone, probably taken by the world's largest thief.

After that disappointment I went to the Canadian Mint. The Mint provides all the excitement of watching, from a distance and behind glass, machines stamp coins and workers package them. A very entertaining minute and a half.

The Museum of Human Rights more than made up for the previous disappointments. It's housed in a beautiful building with zig zagging ramps that lead you through seven floors of exhibits. From the seventh floor a sign points you toward a spiral staircase up to the tower which provides a view of all of Winnipeg. If you're not an idiot though you'll want to take the elevator. I'm on vacation, not at the international stair climbers championship.

Topped off the day with dinner at Shawarma Khan - Can you say delicious? We Khan. (Note: Shawarma Khan, if you would like to use that tag line please contact my agent to work out the details.) The guys there were very friendly and because they were about to close eager to get rid of all their remaining food. Somehow they talked me into taking some of the most wretched of offerings, beet salad. I know what you're thinking, but beets are so healthy. You know what else is healthy? Keeping your mouth shut when I get started on one of my beet rants.

All in all not a bad day.

No comments: